Saturday, December 6, 2008

and please do not tell me "have a holly jolly christmas"

I'm procrastinating pretty hard-core this morning--to the point where I'm finding removing rust stains from my ancient sink more compelling than grading. So, in true form, I've decided that my lack of progress is because I don't have the appropriate music. Thus, I ask you: what are your winter bands?

I keep returning to Bon Iver, Arcade Fire, and Stars, but I think these are cheating. Bon Iver's "For Emma" certainly is, but I know that shit backwards and frontsies by now. And maybe I just think Arcade Fire and Stars are "winter" because both bands hail from (or now record in) Montreal. So if you know of any good snow-falling, icy-sidewalk-ing music, tell me. I will then compile an excellent winter mix and steal all of your suggestions to claim as my own.

You'll be okay with this, however, because deep down you'll know that you were right, and because no one can make you feel inferior without your consent, and all that crap. Yeah. Good for you.

7 comments:

  1. X?










    Have a Holly Jolly Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg, omg, i am having a panic attack. gimme 5 minutes, i'll compile a short list.... where are you going?!?! no wait, come back, i just need a minute to think... so much good music.... ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, oh wait!!!! okay, off the top of my head, number one snow falling song is broadcast's "accidentals" from work and non work. when you hear it, you'll know the exact kind of snowfall i mean.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also a champion procrastinator--case in point: I have a 20 page paper due on Tuesday and a 30 page paper due Friday and I'm reading blogs at 12:15 on Saturday night while I should be writing...nevertheless.

    Winter music:
    Christmas in Prison--John Prine
    Christmas is Pain--Roy Zimmerman
    The Last Waltz (whole record)--The Band
    Julbilee, Bonneville--Charlie Parr
    Avett Brothers (whole catalog)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was almost Christmas time,
    There I stood in another line
    Trying to buy that last gift or two,
    Not really in the Christmas mood.
    Standing right in front of me
    Was a little boy waiting anxiously,
    Pacing round like little boys do,
    And in his hands, he held a pair of shoes.
    And his clothes were worn and old.
    He was dirty from head to toe,
    And when it came his time to pay,
    I couldnt believe what I heard him say.

    Chorus:

    Sir, I wanna buy these shoes for my momma please.
    It's Christmas Eve and these shoes are just her size.
    Could you hurry, Sir?
    Daddy says there's not much time.
    You see, she's been sick for quite a while;
    Know these shoes will make her smile.
    Want her to look beautiful if Momma meets Jesus tonight.


    He counted pennies for what seemed like years
    Then the cashier said Theres not enough here.
    He searched his pockets frantically
    Then he turned and he looked at me.
    He said Momma made Christmas good at our house
    Though most years she just did without.
    Tell me, Sir, what am I gonna do?
    Somehow Ive got to buy these Christmas shoes!
    So I laid the money down;
    I just had to help him out.
    And Ill never forget the look on his face
    When he said Mommas gonna look so great!

    Chorus

    I knew that I got a glimpse of heavens love
    As he thanked me and ran out.
    I knew that God had sent that little boy to remind me
    What Christmas is all about.
    Chorus in childrens voices

    Young boy:
    I want her to look beautiful
    If Momma meets Jesus tonight.

    ...

    heh heh heh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HA I TOLD YOU IT WAS THE WORST SONG EVER.

    ReplyDelete