Wednesday, August 14, 2013

so far north

I don't know what you did yesterday, but I sat in meetings from 9 in the morning to 5 in the afternoon, so, you know, HEY EVERYBODY WELCOME BACK TO SCHOOL DID YOU MISS IT OR WHAT EVEN THOUGH YOU JUST TAUGHT TWO COURSES, HA HA, SUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMER.

Ahem.

Let's not think about that, shall we? Nor the courses that still need to be planned, with t-minus four days until the semester officially begins; let us not think of the meetings nor the relentless e-mails. Instead, let us think of the last two weeks, in late July and early August, when we threw a battered cardboard box of booze and a cutting board and some suitcases into the back of the car and WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE drove so far north there was no humidity and we actually had to close the windows at night to stay warm. 

And later, we drove even further north, to celebrate with my new in-laws! Who may or may not have the next day backed their car into ours, but ha ha, we are family now. And then, we drove back down home, but not without stopping in Beloit to find the final resting place of Roy, and in between the e-mails and tiny fires, I am wrestling with the essay about dinosaur eggs. It's a good break. I like this essay, I think, but who knows.



Oh, Wisconsin. I know from my year in you that you are not always so beautiful, but, you know, this time you done well.

No comments:

Post a Comment