Saturday, December 13, 2008

fin

(ed note: this was composed on 12.11, but not posted until today as to not alert the B to my oh-so-secret plans of arriving in Wisconsin four days earlier than I had told him. Happy holidays, sir. I've been lying my face off to you for weeks! Now let me in so I can sleep while you finish your grading.)

It's over, done, finished. I have three columns of red letters and have submitted three pages of final grades. Some will be happy. Some will be not so happy. But I'm the happiest. I've survived my first semester, and I feel pretty good about it, even if there were a few bumps along the way (and small scars from the very first day's red shoes).

Even after a few short months, I feel myself getting better, more confident, more okay with being able to say, No, this is only C work. But a C is not necessarily a *bad* grade.

I lugged home texts this afternoon. I soaked my office plant today. Here's to hoping he makes it to the fifth--because between now and then, I won't be anywhere near the place.

And now I'm free to revise syllabi, to make wintery mixes, to watch "Love Actually" twice in one day just because I can, to head out for Polish nachos, and to begin the packing and the traveling. And the reading--so much poetry to catch up on. So many books I hope to start. And finish.

I'm listening to "You've Done It Again, Virginia" and admiring the way a short tumbler of shiraz catches the light. It's a fitting way to finish out fall 2008--Matt Berninger's bourbon voice and the lyrics that remind me most of me this semester: You went in and put a record on/To make it sound like someone was home/And thanked yourself for pouring yourself a drink.

Cheers, kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment